a. Whales and cats are are obviously very different animals. Whales are large aquatic mammals and come from the family of Cetaceans. Like all mammals, whales are warm blooded, have hair, have four-chambered hearts, and breathe air into lungs. Whales breathe through a blow hole above the water, which sets them apart from fish that breath underwater using their gills. Cats are also mammals, but they live on land and are from the family of Felines. Cats can be domesticated and are often used as pets, and just like whales cats are divided into many different types of species.
b. These two animals are no where near close to each other in size and physically look nothing alike, but share homologous traits, which is the flipper of the whale and the leg of the cat.
Although, the whale flipper and the cat leg both have a humerus, radius, ulna, carpels, metacarpals, and phalanges, they have significant differences in their structure and use of these traits. The bone structure of the cat tends to resemble more of the human structure, as opposed to the whale which has much longer phalanges that is used for swimming and traveling. The cat however, has a longer humerus and radius because it is used to stand on, and the phalanges of a cat are used for grabbing things, and also to defend themselves against other animals.
c. All of these creatures, in their wondrous array of shapes and sizes, evolved from a small, unassuming, scurrying insect-eater that lived a few hundred thousand years after the apocalypse that finished off most of the dinosaurs. "Scientists have zeroed in on a tiny, rat-sized animal that they believe to be the common ancestor of many of today's modern mammals — including us. This furry little critter lived 66 million years ago, scurrying under the feet of big 'ol dinosaurs and subsisting primarily on a diet of insects."(1).
2. ANALOGOUS TRAITS:
a. True flies belong to the order Diptera and include flies, gnats and mosquitoes. Flies often have transparent wings with few veins. They range in size from being nearly invisible to the naked eye to well over an inch in length. Moths, on the other hand, belong to the second largest insect order, Lepidoptera. They have two pairs of colored wings that are typically patterned, but drab in color. The smallest moth has a wingspan of less than 1/64-inch, while the largest moths have wingspans the size of a dinner plate.
b. Although both are flying insects, and can be major pests, that is where the similarity between a fly and a moth end. Both flies and moths have a complete metamorphosis including egg, larval, pupal and adult stages. The larval stage, in particular, is often different between the two types of insects. Fly larvae are legless, as opposed to moth caterpillars which have six legs and many leg-like appendages. Moths and flies also feed very differently. While there are many distinguishing characteristics between flies and moths, the wings are among the most conspicuous of the differences, but is also what makes them similar.
c."Knowing the characters of the organisms at the tips of a phylogeny lets you figure out what the ancestral characters were likely to have been. For example, modern flies and moths have silk glands but beetles and wasps don’t. The simplest explanation is that silk glands evolved only once in the ancestor of flies and moths. That means that when we imagine the most recent common ancestor of flies and moths (the ancestor at the node between them), we should imagine an insect with silk glands."(2) But the ancestor still shared the similar trait of having wings.
d.
Great opening image!
ReplyDeleteGreat homologous pairing and good descriptions. Interesting to read as well.
You lose a little focus on the analogy. You seem to be highlighting wings as the analogous trait between moths and flies (this is the topic of part b) but you need to demonstrate that the common ancestor between the two did NOT have wings that it passed on to BOTH species. When you look at the image with the phylogenetic tree at the bottom of your page, all four organisms pictured there have wings. While it isn't definitive evidence, it suggests that wings are an ancestral trait all inherited from a common ancestor. That would mean they aren't analogs. Do you have other evidence that either the fly or the moth developed wings as a derived trait after their split from the common ancestor?
Hello Professor Rodriguez,
DeleteThank you for you positive feed back on my post. You are right... I did tend to lose some focus on the analogous traits, because i struggled a little more with that then the homologous traits. I really appreciate your further explanation and will definitely look further into and further back about the ancestor of the both insects and see if I can find something better or more clear. :)
Lissette Salas
Good response. Thank you.
DeleteLissette,
ReplyDeleteI loved the first image on your post!
I liked how eloquently you described the homologous trait shared between the cat and the whale. I did the same thing except I used the human arm instead of the whale. It's very interesting how animals so different can actually be alike.
I also found it surprising that moths and moths are so different from each other considering they are more similar in size than the cat and whale.
Anne Tereska
Hello Anne,
DeleteThank you for your comment! I too loved that picture of the cat/whale when I saw it, I am glad I am not the only one who enjoyed it. I found this assignment to be so interesting, and was fascinated with all the research I found, and the fact that these two animals are so alike, but yet so different.
Thank you again!
Lissette Salas
Hi Lissette,
ReplyDeleteI really liked you homologous trait comparison and your picture. Cats compared to whales, I would have never thought about comparing the two because of the size. The size difference between the two makes it so interesting. I did something similar, I compared a human arm and hand and a whales fin. Great job, I really liked your post!
Danielle mickels
Hi Danielle,
DeleteThank you for your feedback! I read your post as well and am just so fascinated by this assignment and all the homologous traits between such different creatures. It's definitely interesting!
Thank you,
Lissette Salas